Friday, July 22, 2016

Beach Shop Review: WINGS Beachwear

 Around noon last Wednesday I stopped by Wings at Blind Pass and Gulf Blvd in St. Pete Beach to pick out a tacky, inexpensive postcard to send my cousin in response to the tacky, inexpensive one she had sent me. Because ya know, screw texting. 

One quick thing about this store before I dive into the details—why the heck is this place named Wings? Like why not Waves or something else that doesn't make potential patrons think it's a sports bar? I think the store owners severely missed the boat on this one.
/rant

Oh, they had a sale that day! Or else they were utilizing that typical sales tactic where prices are tripled but the products have half-off price tags slapped onto them. I'm sure if I stop by here a few months from now and the signs are still up, then I'll have my answer. 


….Merchandise



Admittedly, the first thing that caught my eye were the XXL speedos hanging from the ceiling. However, upon careful inspection, I realized they were in fact t-shirts folded up in an underpants-like fashion. Silly me.





Here's an honorable mention: the morbidly obese grandma paperweights. Yes, this lucky find can be yours for only $8.99!




Finally I stumbled upon the postcard section, and it had everything I was looking for! It had the I'm having a great vacation message with a subtle My life is more fun and fulfilling than yours snobby undertone to it. Exactly what I was looking for! Especially the "A bad day at the beach is better than a good day at work" one. Only a true freenemy would take the time out of their day to send you one of these $0.49 fuck you's in the mail. 



I settled on the postcard with the knock-off Cameron Diaz look-alike on the front. But, it was definitely a tie between that one and the "thinking of…." with a hot guy introspectively looking off into the distance at probably nothing.















….Prices

These prices aren't a total rip-off—at least not most of them. Each clothing item on the so-called clearance rack was marked down by about $5 so instead of it originally being $12.00, it would be marked down to about $7.48 or whatever.

Holy crap! No! Do not buy your "probably only going to use once or twice" foam noodle at Wings. Go to 7 eleven next door where it costs about a buck.


….Appearance

This place can be very child-infested at times. Just a warning. Also, I'm not sure about you but sometimes overly stocked stores make me anxious because there's too many options and all the stuff makes me claustrophobic.

The sheer amount of products in this store is a bit dizzying, but if this doesn't bother you then you might love all the variety this place has to offer.

….Put Bluntly

Depending on what it is you're looking to buy, I would stop by 7-eleven first before coming here. Beach pail sets, bodyboards, and towels are considerably cheaper there than at Wings. However, if you are just wanting to browse some shops around town with friends, I'd definitely recommend this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment